Friday 29 November 2013

One Year Later

One year ago today I took a huge leap of faith and dropped Riley off for his major surgery.  I was scared to death that I wasn't making a good decision but equally terrified that if I didn't do it his quality of life would continue to deteriorate.  Some readers might not know that Riley had a hemilaminectomy procedure to remove a cyst pressing on your spinal cord.  Today Riley still has some lingering after effects of his condition (mild ataxia) and a bit of a wonky hip but for the most part he is healthy, happy and pain free. I am forever thankful that the surgery and recovery went well.  Past blogs on the subject can be found here.

It is also the USA thanksgiving and because I missed the Canadian version in blogging I also want to share some other things I am grateful for.

- my wonderful husband for supporting me on my crazy dog adventures 
- my dogs for bringing much laughter, fun and challenges to my life
- my cats for all the cuddles.  They are the finishing touch to make a house a home.
- my friends who are always there for me.
- my mother, brothers, sister and various niece, nephews, aunts and uncles.
- health for myself and all those (human and animal) I love and care about.

There is so much tragedy and challenges all around us that sometimes it is important to count the good stuff.


Morning after surgery

48 hours post-surgery

Spring 2013


3 comments:

  1. Can't believe it's been a year! So glad to see Riley doing so well. ~ Corrine

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy things worked out for Riley (and you!). Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with UrbanBodi...that year passed so fast! Actually, well over a year, when you consider how far behind I am on my blog reading. LOL! A wonky hip doesn't sound so bad, especially considering what might have happened if the cyst wasn't found and had grown! Glad you took the leap...it's always hard to know what to do. :-)

    ReplyDelete